2020-2021 School Year Information and Updates
May 16, 2021
This is your final LMS email update for our thirty-eighth, and last week of school. We hope all of you had a wonderful school year in spite of all of the changes and difficulties surrounding the pandemic. Our students, families, faculty, and staff deserve a wonderful summer and I hope each of you get to spend that time together. We at LMS are looking to the future and it is starting to look a lot brighter as we transition back to our previous definitions of normal. There is no word yet concerning next year; however, we will update all families via email and our website prior to the start of the school year. Below are some important updates for the end of the school year and beyond. Additionally, there are some important dates concerning Open House and the first day of school included in the Upcoming Important Dates section. We hope everyone enjoys this last week of school and we wish you all a wonderful summer. See you next year!
Final Report Cards:
Final Report Cards will be available online through Parent Portal on May 25th. If you would like to request a printed copy to be mailed to your residence, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to your student’s first period teacher. Those report cards requested to be sent through mail should be delivered to homes by May 28th.
Summer Office Hours:
Lakeside Middle School will be open to serve any LMS student business through May 28. Starting on June 1, LMS will be hosting the Columbia County Summer Enrichment program and will be staffed by individuals who will not have access to LMS student records. If you have any pressing concerns over the summer please reach out to Mr. Medlin directly through email. Lakeside Middle School will be closed for the summer starting June 14 and will reopen on July 29 for the next school year.
CCSD Summer School Registration:
Summer School registration is open at this time. Lakeside Middle School mailed home letters to those families who have a student who is in danger of being retained for next school year. LMS is finalizing grades and will be reaching out to the families of those students who are in need of Summer School to be promoted. I have copied below the promotion policies for grades 6-8. We still have two weeks of school left and the Georgia Milestone Exams for students to prove their mastery of content standards and improve their situation. If your student is in danger of failing any course I encourage you to speak to your student’s teacher for more details. Encourage your student to continue working hard right until the very end because the school year will be over very soon. If you have specific questions about Summer School please feel free to email our counselors: Michelle Way-Houser (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sara Giuliano (email@example.com).
- Grades 6 and 7:
- Must pass four of six courses. At least three of these courses must be from the core subject areas of Math, Social Studies, Science, and Language Arts. A minimum of three career connections must be passed for one course, and a minimum of six career connections must be passed for two courses.
- Grade 8:
- Must pass five of seven courses. At least three of these courses must be from the core subject areas of Math, Social Studies, Science, and Language Arts. A minimum of three career connections must be passed for one course, and a minimum of six career connections must be passed for two courses.
Learn from Home Option for Next School Year:
It was announced by the CCSD Board of Education that Learn from Home will not be an option in grades 6-12 next school year. Full-time and part-time remote learning will be served by the new Columbia Virtual Academy (CVA) which was announced earlier this school year. CVA courses will be taught by certified teachers selected for their strong curricular and proven instructional technology background. Initial registration for CVA closed on January 19, 2021, but you may still register your child for CVA at any time prior to the start of the 21-22 school year. Upon registering you will be placed on a waiting list and notified upon approval based on current staffing availability. Please visit the CVA website for more details and registration information.
- Columbia Virtual Academy Website: https://sites.google.com/ccboe.net/cva/home
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Semester Exams: May 17-20
- Last Day of School and Early Dismissal: May 21 @ 11:00 am
- Final Report Cards: May 25 [Available Online]
- High School Open House: July 29 [Last name A-K, 4:30 – 5:30, Last name L-Z, 5:30 – 6:30]
- Middle School Open House: August 2 [[Last name A-K, 4:30 – 5:30, Last name L-Z, 5:30 – 6:30]
- First Day of School: August 5
Jeremy R. Medlin
Lakeside Middle School, Title 1